The Consulate of Finland in Shanghai was founded first time in 1924. It operated under the Embassy of Finland in Tokyo and was the only Finnish representation in China. In 1926 the consulate was upgrated to Consulate General, but in 1945 the mission was officially closed.
Re-opening of the Consulate was discussed since 1951, but the current Consulate General of Finland was not opened until November 1, 1995. Today the jurisdiction includes Shanghai and the provinces of Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Anhui and Jiangxi. The inhabitants in these provinces exceeds 260 million. There are approximately one thousand Finnish citizens living in the area.
The Finnish Consul Generals in Shanghai
The largest World Expo so far was organized in Shanghai in 2010. The World Expo 2010 was also apparently the biggest Finnish promotion event ever held. The Finnish Pavilion 'Kirnu' received the Golden Statue for the best Pavilion Design and Architecture.